Saturday, 3 May 2014

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” ― Dr. Seuss

What a feeling.
Finishing something.
Be it a book,
A special project,
A fantastic meal.
anything.

I just finished an amazing book. I enjoyed it so much I read it twice. It may very well tie Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children as one of my favorite books.



Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige.

What can I say? i loved it and at the same time hated it, you know the typical emotions when reading an amazing book. You love the story and characters so much that by the end you hate it because its over. I wanted more and more as I continued to read. THAT ENDING!!!!! I now can not wait until the second novel comes out. 

Danielle's writing was phenomenal. Her words flowed and made the book thoroughly enjoyable. The characters were well executed and Dorothy was not only herself, as we know her in the movie and the original books, but you grew to be disgusted at her acts as the reigning "Princess". The Tin Woodman, The Cowardly (not so much) lion and the Scarecrow were characters like none others, creating both an understandable anguish and sheer terror for the main characters. The main character, Amy, was sneaky and charming. Her will to help others that needed it as well as her friendships forged throughout the story made her one to root for. When Amy was scared for Jellia, the head maid I was genuinely upset for her, she was a true friend. 

I really enjoyed the interaction with the main character with the secondary characters as well. I felt what I like to describe as make believe friendships with them. For example Nox, the stoic yet somehow sweet trainer. He trained Amy to fight and the kiss... woah. I knew that there had to be some romance in the novel and to be honest I was expecting it to be Pete, who turns out wasn't who I thought he/she was. (SPOILER!) 

Overall I really liked the book and I cannot wait until the second in the series comes out. I will for sure get it when it is out. 

Rating: 5/5 


First Impressions:


No Place Like Oz by Danielle Paige

I literally can't get enough of Oz. First Dorothy Must Die and now this. This novella takes place 2 years after Dorothy returns from Oz. She was a wonder when she came back but now that the attention has worn off her large ego is shrinking. She no longer has friends in Kansas, aunt Em thinks shes crazy and even her chicken is acting weird. Its her 16th birthday and all the people who don't like her show up and do nothing but all they do is ignore her. 

I'm not to sure about this one yet. I am only a little bit in and to be honest Dorothy is a major pain. I rooted for Amy to kill her because her ego and her attitude made me cringe. You know those girls in high school who are always primping, always looking for a way to make people feel bad, like Regina George from Mean Girls, that is what Dorothy reminds me of. Sometimes I just want to reach into the book and tell her to shut up.  But I think that is the feeling Danielle was going for. Make the evil character something relate-able yet someone to hate. 


That's all for now :) 

If you have a book recommendation for me just message me on Facebook or Twitter. 

Toodles xoxo
Jess 

No comments:

Post a Comment