As many people know I love to read. I carry either my Kobo mini or an actual book with me no matter where I go. I tend to read some strange books, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children being my favorite. Recently I discovered an idea for a TBR Jar, or a To Be Read Jar. Its a genius idea really. So I went to my local dollar and picked up a wooden box (all of the jars were too small) and some gorgeous decorative paper and made my self one. I filled it with slips of paper with all of the books I own on them. I just recently finished an amazing book that has actually been on my Kobo for almost a year and I found that I REALLY enjoyed it.
Room by Emma Donoghue
Room is a heart breaking story told through the eyes of 5 year old Jack. His bravery and innocent curiosity makes the book quite the ride. The writing in this novel is quite amazing, its told from Jack's perspective but it is far from childish. He is an incredibly smart and observant child, and amazingly brave as well. I thoroughly immersed myself in this novel reading it almost non-stop for a few days.
The story centers around Jack, Ma and Room. Everything in Room has its own personality, but not in an overpowering way. From Wardrobe to Bed to Skylight, everything Jack has ever known is there in Room. But Ma knows she cant keep lying to him forever. They are being held captive by the man they call "Old Nick". Ma was taken from the world she knew, her family, her education at the age of 19 and was held captive and treated in some inappropriate ways. She can't leave. After Jack's 5th birthday Ma creates a plan to escape, to rid their lives of Old Nick. Jack was to pretend to be sick. They took some rather unusual precautions to ensure that Old Nick fell for it. He didn't. At first.
I don't want to give away too much of the book, but its for sure an amazing book. Its also semi-based on the very true story of Josef Fritzl who held his 18 year old daughter captive for 24 years as a sex slave. Scary stuff. Its truly a horrible idea, but reading it in Jack's perspective made this novel charming and took some of the terrifying factors away.
Overall rating for me: I give it 4/5. Yes its an amazing books but the idea behind it sends shivers down my spine. And to think that that kind of thing is happening all over the world. Yikes!
Now for a first impression.
Dorothy Must Die By Danielle Paige
Oh My gosh!!! I can not tell you how excited I am to read this.
It is a new twist on the classic by L. Frank Baum. What if Dorothy found a way back to Oz? What if The Wicked Witch was actually the good guy? What if Dorothy was the new Wicked one?
So far the story is about the misunderstood Amy Gumm. Shes the misfit at school because she lives in the trailer park with her mother. Pink hair in all Amy is swept up in a tornado and transported to Oz.
I am so excited for this read. Danielle Paige's writing style may just be the best part. The words flow and its just so... unexplainably good.
I recommend them immensely, whether you are looking for an interesting read or looking for a twist on an old favorite. Check them out!
For now that is all I have.
Toodles xox
Jess

No comments:
Post a Comment