Saturday, 27 September 2014

“If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Hey everyone!
I am back today with another book review! I found this book on a whim while reading a cheesy BuzzFeed list about books you might enjoy if you liked The Fault In our Stars by John Green which happens to be my go to sappy/major feels novel. If I ever need a good cry I will either watch the last few Harry Potter movies (Sirius, Dumbledore, Fred, Remus and most importantly Dobby the free elf.... oh the feels) or I will read TFIOS (when Isaac freaks I bawl). But this novel was quite a while down the list but I instantly became intrigued. As soon as i could i made my way to Goodreads and added it to my shelves. Not expecting too much from it as an overall plot, the book genuinely shocked me. I became addicted to it.

Written by the same author as Silver Linings Playbook, Matthew Quick, Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock quickly became my new favorite novel.

Published last August, this novel is a must read for those who want a charming, yet eerie kind of novel that makes you feel everything you would want to. Whether it was Leonard's desperation for someone to simply say Happy Birthday, or his love for his favorite teacher who becomes an unlikely ally. I thoroughly enjoyed the writing style and how much it really makes you root for Leonard. The book gets rather dark quite fast but gets so much better, and a small bit more positive.


WARNING!!SPOILER ALERT!!

Centered around 18-year old Leonard Peacock the novel tells the tale of his plan to kill his enemy, who we learn was actually his old best friend, and also to kill himself. It is Leonard's eighteenth birthday and no one knows. His mother, a fashion designer who left him alone to sleep with " this French guy who loves sex", completely forgets about him. Not even his neighbor Walt, a Humphrey Bogart super fan, remembers. He plans on leaving different gifts for those who he liked, his friends and of course his mother before he commits suicide. He leaves his mother his hair which he chopped off and left in his fridge as a nasty surprise. .

            After all of the gifts are given and the day is through it was time for the final step, suicide.

This book has quite the twist and it makes it worth the read. I would recommend this novel to anyone who needs a fresh perspective. I urge you to spend just a few hours in Leonard's head and I guarantee you will walk away knowing something good will happen. No matter how bad your situation is, or how bad it ever was, reading this will make you see how good things do happen even in the darkest of points.

Overall i gave this a 4.5/5 stars on Goodreads... the half star because it ended. I WANT MORE!


Look forward to hearing feedback!
Feel free to follow me on twitter for more book reviews and more!
@Jessi_P
Or on Goodreads! I am always looking for a new favorite!
@Jess
Toodles xox


No comments:

Post a Comment